The Strength and Conditioning Performance Specialist ensures that MLS NEXT Pro athletes achieve an elite level of performance. The Strength and Conditioning Performance Specialist applies scientific knowledge to improve a Player’s performance and prevent injuries. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following: conduct soccer-specific physical testing, design and implement strength and conditioning programs, assist in recovery protocols, provide nutritional guidance, and deliver sport science support. Must work under the supervision of the League and Club Chief Medical Officer and the Athletic Training Staff as it relates to Player health and safety.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Working in collaboration with the Medical Staff and under the supervision of the CMO:
• Design and implement safe and effective strength and conditioning programs for MLS NEXT Pro Players.
• Lead and supervise sports performance training sessions.
• Design the daily, weekly, and monthly training plans and periodization strategies.
• Educate and counsel Players regarding strategies to improve performance.
• Communicate with the sports medicine staff regarding injured, rehabilitating and deconditioned Players to modify strength and conditioning programs with agreement from sports medical staff.
• Work with medical staff to design and modify return to play strength and conditioning programs for post rehabilitation Players.
• Evaluate Player performance through performance testing, including but not limited to, workload monitoring and body composition testing.
• Manage all incoming strength, conditioning, performance data streams.
• Manage all in-training/game tracking and other data streams and develop structures around data collection.
• Maintain the appearance, safe functionality, and organization of equipment in the weight facility, as well as educate and enforce weight room rules.
• Demonstrate interpersonal skills required to work effectively with Players, coaches, other Club personnel, and MLS NEXT Pro staff.
• Comply with all MLS NEXT Pro medical policies and procedures • Attend activities/meetings/programs as required by MLS NEXT Pro.
• Minimum: Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Physical Education, or related field or National Federation’s equivalent.
• Preferred: Master’s Degree in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Physical Education, or related field Licenses or Certifications.
• A minimum of one (1) year of full-time experience at the professional level OR full-time experience at the MLS NEXT or Elite Academy, NCAA or U SPORTS level as a strength and conditioning specialist.
• Proven ability in the following areas: strength training, Olympic lifting, plyometrics, SAQ (speed/agility/quickness) development, specific and non-specific energy system development, flexibility, recovery, injury prevention, nutrition, sports science and analytics.
• Extensive knowledge and experience in the implementation of strength and conditioning programming for athletes.
• Preferred experience with analyzing data pertaining to player health and performance, conducting performance testing, manage performance, safely and effectively present pertinent data to appropriate stakeholders in the Club. Preferred Proficiency in Microsoft applications.
• Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) certification by the NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Association), or Performance Enhancement Specialist (PES) certification by the NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine) • CPR certification.
• Recommended additional certifications: Certified Performance Sport Specialist (CPSS), USAW, CPT-NASM, CES, and XPS.
• Preferred HIPAA compliant Course and Health Information Certification. PIPEDA compliance training preferred for Canadian Clubs. GDPR compliance education recommended for all Clubs.
Interested candidates are to email resumes/CV to Rhonda@bench-builders.com.