Game of the Week

FCC 2 claw back from two-goal deficit to defeat Columbus Crew 2 in shootout

FC Cincinnati 2 clawed back from a two-goal deficit at halftime to earn two points at home after defeating the Eastern Conference leader Columbus Crew 2 in a shootout after a 3-3 draw in an electric atmosphere at TQL Stadium in Cincinnati.

Crew 2 jumped to an early lead in the 16th minute when their Captain Marco Micaletto scored his sixth goal of the campaign after a cheeky set piece.

Right before halftime, midfielder Isaiah Parente would add a goal for the Black and Gold after a low cross from Jake Morris managed to bypass several players in the box and land at his feet. He then launched a powerful right-footed strike past FCC2's keeper Alec Kann giving Crew 2 a two-goal lead.

It looked like Crew 2 would cruise to another comfortable win over FCC2, but FCC2 came out guns blazing after halftime.

Forward Calvin Harris scored the first goal for the Orange and Blue in the 66th minute when he received a threaded pass after an off-the-ball run near the top of the box. Harris dribbled past Crew 2 goalkeeper Patrick Schulte and put the ball away to narrow the gap for FCC2. 

Arquimides Ordonez would level the score in the 74th minute for FCC2 after a lofted pass in the box gave him enough space to get his shot into the goal.

Both Crew 2 and FCC2 would convert penalties in stoppage time to send the game into a shootout. FCC2 would convert all four of their attempts from the spot during the shootout, while Alec Kann stopped two Crew 2 penalties to give his team the extra point. 

After tonight's shootout victory, FCC2 has now earned points in their last three matches and will continue to fight valiantly as they face TFC II and their unbeaten streak next week.

Columbus Crew 2, on the other hand, continues to command the top spot in the Eastern Conference with 42 points. In their quest to secure the top spot in the Eastern Conference, Crew 2 will travel to face Orlando City B next week.

The Story: FCC2 proves resilient in shootout victory

With only a few games left in their season and their position in the standings all but eliminating them from the playoffs, it'd be understandable if FC Cincinnati 2 would throw in the towel and focus on next year. But based on tonight's performance, Tyrone Marshall's men showed that they will be fighting until the very last second of the season to get results.

After giving up two goals in the first period of play, FCC2 clawed their way back into the game in the second half.  

Midfielder Gerardo Valenzuela proved to be the catalyst of FCC2's comeback when he entered the match in the second half and immediately connected with Calvin Harris and Arquimides Ordonez to level the score.

Even after Crew 2 converted a 92nd-minute penalty, FC Cincinnati 2 would not give up and earned themselves a penalty minutes later. Calvin Harris calmly put the ball in the back of the net to send the game into a shootout where Alec Kann would give FCC2 their first shoutout victory of the season.

With only five games left in their season, FC Cincinnati is only four points away from leaving the bottom of the Eastern Conference. If their run of form continues, they'll be able to play the role of spoiler for any team looking to qualify for the Eastern Conference playoffs and build momentum heading into next season.